Happy Turkey Day!
In the great American tradition of capitalist gratitude, get ready for an onslaught of discounts, deals, and pleas for your patronage. It seems like every year another day in the post-Thanksgiving week is claimed for a cause.
Well here's a new one for you:
What is Startup Sunday?
Why observe Startup Sunday?
They say it takes a village to raise a child; it takes a critical mass of villages to raise a company. Show your support for startups in your community or industry this Sunday.
How do I observe Startup Sunday?
- Browse Kickstarter for new inventions and projects that intrigue you. Back the project if you can. If you don't have the funds to do so, share them on social media.
- If you have the means to invest, join Angel List or Gust. Discover startups in their seed stage and contribute to their growth fund.
- If you know an angel or VC investor, introduce them to an entrepreneur you believe in. In-person, email, or LinkedIn intros will work.
- Follow a startup you like on Twitter and send them a shout-out with #StartupSunday for some well wishes.
- Write a blog post highlighting the startups you're rooting for and send some link-love their way.
- Try out a startup's product! Check Product Hunt, find one you like, and download the app, browse the site, or join their beta testing list.
- Buy holiday gifts from a retail startup like The Grommet, or pool money to buy big gifts as a group using Splitzee.*
To recap the week ahead:
Thanksgiving - relax with family and friends, give thanks for your loved ones, and gorge on turkey and potatoes.
Black Friday - go to your nearest shopping mall or mega department store and go ballistic grabbing half-priced electronics.
Small Business Saturday - visit independent book stores, mom 'n' pop shops, and specialty boutiques to support local businesses.
Startup Sunday - support innovation (see list above) #StartupSunday
Cyber Monday - troll Amazon.com, eBay, and Etsy for special deals delivered to your door.
Giving Tuesday - donate to a charity or non-profit that is near and dear to your heart.
We're Out Of Cash Wednesday - get back to work, you've got a credit card bill to pay off now!
Up Next: Never Work for a Jerk
*Full disclosure: I work there